Sunday, September 03, 2006

The way of the Samurai: Sat 05 Aug 2006

Miniatures from the Edo Period

Well it was a boring Saturday morning, so I decided to go and visit the Edo Museum and pay my Samurai ancestors a visit. The museum was a wonderful experience. I could have stayed on for hours. They had beautiful period costumes and live size installations as well as miniatures which depicted life in the Edo period. Half of the museum was dedicated to the Edo period (when the Samurais were still around) whilst the other half of the museum was pre-industrial Japan up to WW II. It was great looking at all the propaganda in those days, and the illustration styles. Very 1950's. And to top it off, there was also a step by step display of woodblock printing to show how they printed books during the Edo period. Unfortunately, I left my camera, so I had to use my mobile phone but I haven't managed to upload it on to the Mac. Believe it or not, my mobile phone is only PC compatible. Anyway, here is a shot from the net.

No comments: