Monday, September 04, 2006

My first earthquake: Wed 30 Aug 2006

Finally, I am up to date on this blog! I experienced my first earthquake whilst sitting at Starbucks, a TALL building over my head and the earth wobbling for about 3 seconds. It was after school around 5.18pm. I was having a caramel frapuccino and suddenly the ground started swaying like a rubber platform. It was quick, but the scariest thing was watching the building we were under 'sway'! It was as if my vision faltered a bit and went zig zaggy. The earthquake wasn't really violent, but we were more afraid of aftershocks. The whole cafe was quiet for a few minutes, then business went on as usual. The news reported the strongest magnitude being 4.8. I think the one in town was around 3. No damage or loss of life reported. I wonder if the earthquake is like a wave effect, or if it happens all at once. Apparently, the movement types differ depending on what sort of tectonic plate you are on. Only proffessionals can tell, so I won't even bother. Well all is fine, Im glad I wasn't in the subway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont be too curious! leave it to d professionals :)