Saturday, October 07, 2006

My new room: 7 Oct 06

It's been nearly a week since I moved into the new place. It's fantastic. I love it! I'm so much more happier than I was at my last place. The location where I'm at is so convenient. Lots of shops, banks etc and its only 1 train stop away from Shinjuku (It takes me 15 mins by train to Shibuya, where my school is at). I don't feel like I'm living in a concrete jungle at all! My neighbourhood has an old 'retro' feel to it. There are lots of small traditional shops run by some very friendly old people. Most of the print ads they place are still from the 70's! The street is also very quiet. The walk to the station is less than 5 mins, and if you walk a bit further, there is a beautiful Turqish mosque 10 mins away.


My room is a traditional Japanese tatami mat room, I even have a low table and cushions, where I do my work in. Off course I have decorated my room to my tastes, which you will see in the pictures. I have a sliding door that opens out to the garden and a little veranda area, where I can put potted plants etc. The loving area is small, but cozy for the 5 of us. The kitchen is stocked up with an oven, microwave, fridge, cutlery, the works, more than enough to start cooking.

And what can I say about my housemates, we get along really well. Usually, we all get back home late and stay up and watch a bit of telly (which is Cable TV so I can swap the language from Japanese to English) but usually I try and watch in Japanese. The last few days, we've been staying up just chatting to each other. I feel like I'm back in civilisation again, after living with half-mute people at the dormitory. Ok, they weren't so bad, just extremely shy I guess.

One of my housemates (Yuta 20, Japanese born Korean boy) just returned from the Middle East last month (Syria, Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan). He even gave me a tasbih he bought in Turkey. He is only 20, but he went alone to the Middle East to see all the fuss the media is making and to judge it with his own eyes. I think that is so brave (even I wouldn't go to the Middle East now). My housemates are all quite supportive of me as a muslim. So far we have the same taste in music, which is a bonus point, as all of us can share each other's playlist through the internet. (Catherine 24, English) sleeps next door to me. She is very english, loud and fun and has a string of boyfriends she always has stories to share about. There is never a dull moment with Cat. The girl from my school (Anita 26, Hong Kong), is also sweet. A bit quiet but very kind. We even chat in Cantonese sometimes. he is so surprised that I know some words. (i practice to impress Jeff saje la..) Last night, Anita shared with us some mooncakes she received from Hong Kong (its now mooncake festival). Naoko (27, Japanese) works in a clinical trial group (testing clinical products etc etc). She is also great. Everynight so far, I have been chatting to Naoko and Yuta, both in a mix of English and Japanese. In fact tonight, Im going to a rock gig with Yuta and his friends. The other girls all have their dates, since its Saturday night. But we should be planning something soon anyway.

For more pictures: Click on the link 'Sasazuka' under links on the right column

6 comments:

sky dancer said...

ABY!!

I am so jealous!! Your new place looks exactly like how I picture living in Japan must be like. It looks like something out of The Ring or Dark Waters and all those other horror Japanese movies.

Very inspiring darling! Love your room. Love your place. So cool. So Japanese. I'm glad you like it too. Am glad you put up pictures of your abode. Nice to see how things are on your part of the world.

sky dancer said...

And I know how important it is to have people who share your same taste in music!! Music makes the world go round and if your housemates aren't on your music rhythm, that could be a bother.

Anonymous said...

Very envious of you making your japanese dream come true. Go ABy!!!
And it would not have been possible if not for our dearest Baba & Mummy - so kiddo - give them a call right now and tell them what great parents they are and how much you love them for this...hehehe. Love you & proud of you for making this change X

little miss muffet said...

Am so happy for you aby! Glad that things are falling into place. When the chips are down, just think of your old dorm..that'll perk you up immediately now you're in a brighter place! Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

its a really enjoyable reading your blogs, what more to hear you're loving each bit of your apt. hehe.. jamban photo pun ade. your pad looks lovely, very cosy and DEFINITELY does not look like a busy city. we all miss you here.. keep writing and take care of yourself, girl!

Giana Aleah said...

ilove your new place, its so cosy & what a cute balcony! wish i was there to visit, lets hope you stay longer..:) miss you xoxo