Saturday, October 21, 2006

Is Tokyo safe or what!!??!

When I was still living in Kajigaya, I took a photo of this little boy walking in front of me. He had just been to the convenience store to buy something, and was walking along the street with his plastic bag. I couldn't believe it! He was around 4 years old, but there he was walking at the side of the road, ALONE doing an errand probably for his mom! He kept looking back at me (with wary eyes), but somehow I managed to sneak in this shot. All the while, cars were passing us on the road. Maybe in the 'kampung' this is normal, but I sure was not expecting this in suburbia Tokyo. So I guess this was one of the 'safe' aspects of my old neighbourhood, but coincidentally, a few nights before I moved to the new house, a girl was stabbed in our area (don't freak out, all is fine. it was quite a fair way from where i lived). Still, i was a little relieved to be moving finally! Anyway, it seemed to be a murder because she wasnt robbed or anything. Probably a lover's fight, who knows...A freak accident I hope.

2 comments:

little miss muffet said...

Could not imagine letting Umar out on his own, even if it was just beyond the front door and still within our gated yard! Different exposure levels brings up different types of kids eh?....

Anonymous said...

Are you sure the boy wasn't a midget...like me? Was there a circus near by at that time? OR maybe he was buying himself powder to make tepong gomak face like the geisha?